Start with these ten steps – from The Big Melt.
- Reduce energy usage: insulate, drive less, use hybrids & electric vehicles, unplug
- Switch electricity supplier to 100% solar or wind
- Buy sustainable products to incentivize businesses to make more of them
- Plant native trees and shrubs to clean our air & water and cool things down
- Support local and national environmental non-profits
- Reduce meat consumption and food waste
- Encourage businesses and governments to support solar and wind energy development
- Encourage energy-efficiency upgrades in all buildings and vehicles
- Support the expansion of interconnected green infrastructure networks
- Implement a national “carbon cap and dividend” policy or a “carbon tax” to pay for the real and hidden costs to society of using dirty fuels
For more ideas see Drawdown by Paul Hawkens.